Wednesday 28 December 2011

Four Simple Questions: Part 4

Trans Media Action is having a "Trans Camp" at Channel Four on the 13th January 2012 and they are asking Transgender people to make short videos answering four questions. These videos will be played during the Trans Camp.

I've decided that doing this is a very good idea and am answering these questions. However, the videos must be no more than one minute in length, and those of you who know me know that I tend to waffle on in my videos! Thus, I am going to answer these questions here first to enable me to make my videos as short as possible.

The fourth question is "FAMILY: How have you experienced support, or lack of, from family and friends?"

When I first realised that I am transgender, the first people I came out to were my boyfriends. They are the most supportive persons I've ever met and have helped me in so many ways from helping me figure out what my clothing sizes are to being witnesses to my name change via deed poll.


I came out to my family and friends via a Youtube video this past August on my birthday. Everyone, including some I wasn't sure about, were and are very supportive, including using masculine pronouns. The most memorable message of support was from my Aunt who lives in the States. She declared, "I am not behind you in this, instead I stand proudly right beside you."


The amount of love, acceptance, and support that I have received in the few short months since coming out has truly inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment